How Can I Change My Name?

whats in a name.jpegChanging your name in Florida is generally not that difficult, especially if you have a Jacksonville Name Change Attorney‘s assistance. An experienced attorney can help you with the three main steps required to have your name changed. Specifically, a Jacksonville Name Change Attorney, can (1) help with drafting and filing the required Petition for Name Change, (2) help with filing a set of fingerprints and (3) schedule and attend a Final Hearing in front of a Judge.

Why fingerprints? The Court wants to insure that a Petitioner is not trying to evade any criminal proceedings or related issues. Florida Statute 68.07 reads as follows: “Before the court hearing on a petition for a name change, the petitioner must have fingerprints submitted for a state and national criminal history records check, except if a former name is being restored. Fingerprints for the petitioner shall be taken in a manner approved by the Department of Law Enforcement and shall be submitted electronically to the department for state processing for a criminal history records check. The department shall submit the fingerprints to the Federal Bureau of Investigation for national processing. The department shall submit the results of the state and national records check to the clerk of the court. The court shall consider the results in reviewing the information contained in the petition and evaluating whether to grant the petition. When a petition is filed which requires a criminal history records check, the clerk of the court shall instruct the petitioner on the process for having fingerprints taken and submitted, including providing information on law enforcement agencies or service providers authorized to submit fingerprints electronically to the Department of Law Enforcement. The cost of processing fingerprints and conducting the state and national criminal history records check required under this subsection shall be borne by the petitioner for the name change or by the parent or guardian of a minor for whom a name change is being sought.”

I know from experience that a Judge will typically grant a Petition for Name Change as long as the testimony presented at the Final Hearing suggests the petitioner did not file the Petition for any ulterior motive, such as to avoid creditors or criminal proceedings. If you want to change your name contact a Jacksonville Name Change Attorney at (904) 685-1200 to set up a free consultation.

Contact Information