Name Change In Florida: How Can I Change My Name?

Reasons for a name change can vary widely.  The reasons a for a name change could be as unique as snowflakes or fingerprints.  Sometimes a woman going through a divorce wants to change her name back to her maiden name, or someone with dreams of becoming a big shot movie director may want a name that is worthy of success.  The most common is a name change associated with a stepparent adoption or adoption in general.  Whatever your reason for a name change, the process of getting a name change in Florida is pretty simple and straight forward.  A name change is also a relatively inexpensive process.  Our experienced Jacksonville name change lawyers at the Law Office of David M. Goldman, PLLC can help.  The Process has three parts: (1) The Petition for Name Change; (2) Fingerprinting/Criminal History Check; and (3) The Hearing.

whats in a nameThe petition submitted to the court must have certain information about the petitioner, including current name, the name you wish to use, prior addresses, mother’s and father’s names, professional license, information, criminal history, and bankruptcy information, among other things.  The petitioner must swear that his or her name is not being changed for some illegal or improper purpose, such as to escape an outstanding warrant or to avoid creditors.

A petitioner has to have his or her fingerprints taken and a criminal history records investigation done by the Florida Department of Law Enforcement (FDLE).  The results will be sent directly to the court.  Being dishonest about your criminal history can be a reason to have the Petition for Name Change denied.

Once the results of the fingerprint/criminal history check have been sent to the court, your case can be set for a hearing.  Testimony must be submitted to the court about the basic information contained in the petition for name change and the reason for the name change.  If the court is satisfied that the request for name change is legitimate, the court will grant the petition and sign an order changing your name.  Certified copies of the order must be provided to agencies like Vital Statistics so that your personal records, such as your driver’s license, can be updated. Call us today at (904) 685-1200 for a free consultation.


Contact Information