Don’t Like Your Name? Change Your Name!

name.jpgJacksonville area residents seeking to change their name may do so by filing a Petition for Change of Name with the court in the county in which they reside. However, there are a few hoops that must be jumped prior to the court granting a name change. In particular, fingerprints must be submitted for a state and national criminal records check. However, this does not apply to women who are changing back to their maiden name. In Jacksonville the name change petitioner can have their fingerprints scanned at the Jacksonville Sheriff’s Office for a nominal fee of $5.

Also, the petitioner must make sure the Petition is verified and show numerous other things, including: the Petitioner is a bona fide resident of the county where the name change is sought, whether the Petitioner has ever been adjudicated bankrupt and if so, when and where, and whether any money judgment has ever been entered against the Petitioner. A Jacksonville Name Change Attorney can help with this process by drafting the Petition that includes the proper and necessary language.

After everything is filed and received by the clerk’s office a hearing on the Petition can be scheduled. Scheduling a hearing can sometimes be difficult for pro se petitioners; whereas petitioners with a Jacksonville Name Change Attorney tend to have little to no issues. The hearing consists of the Petitioner giving brief testimony to a Jacksonville Family Law Judge. If there are no issues the Jacksonville Family Law Judge will sign a final judgment, making the name change official.

Should you desire any further information on this topic please contact a Jacksonville Name Change Attorney who can help you through the process and represent you at the final hearing. Consultations are free and night and weekend appointments are available.

Contact Information