Developmentally Disabled Children become Developmentally Disabled Adults, what is a Parent to Do?

Having a family member with a developmental disability who is now an adult may cause some future obstacles. Although you may be the natural parent, when your child becomes an adult, you are no longer able to make health care or financial decisions for him or her.

The Florida Guardianship Statutes allows for a Guardian Advocate to be appointed as a less restrictive form of guardianship.

A Guardian Advocate can be appointed for a person who has been diagnosed with a developmental disability. The Guardian Advocate will then be given certain powers and legal authority to act on behalf of and in the best interest of the person with a developmental disability.

If you would like to learn more about how becoming a guardian advocate may benefit someone in your life who has a developmental disability, contact a Jacksonville Attorney who has experience in handling Guardianship matters.

Contact Information