How to Start a Divorce

start.jpgJacksonville Florida divorce case are also known as a Dissolution of Marriage Proceedings. A Jacksonville Divorce can be started by either a husband or wife after having lived in Duval County for six months. To start either party must file a Petition for Dissolution of Marriage with the court and serve the same on the other party. The “served” party then has twenty (20) days to file an “Answer”  or other response to the Petition.

This twenty (20) day time limit is extremely important in that if an “Answer” is not filed within that time frame a “Default” judgment may be entered against the “served” party, which may necessarily grant the Petitioning party everything requested in the Petition.

Therefore, if you have just been served with a Petition for Dissolution of Marriage it is imperative to contact a Jacksonville Divorce Attorney as soon as possible. Feel free to contact Law Office of David M. Goldman at (904) 685-1200 at any time. I will be happy to schedule a free consultation any time, including nights and weekends.

Posted in:

Comments are closed.

Contact Information