As a Family Law Attorney in the Jacksonville Beach area I am consistently asked how the courts calculate alimony. This is often a difficult question to answer.
In Jacksonville Florida there is no basic calculation system that the courts follow; instead, there are factors that are taken into consideration when determining whether to award and how much to award in alimony.
These factors include:
(1) The standard of living established while married.
(2) The length of the marriage.
(3) The age and health of each party.
(4) The financial resources and assets of each party.
(5) When applicable, the time necessary for either party to acquire sufficient education or training to enable such party to find appropriate employment.
(6) The contribution of each party to the marriage, including, but not limited to, services rendered in homemaking, child care, education, and career building of the other party.
(7) All sources of income available to either party.
The court may consider any other factor necessary to do equity and justice between the parties.
If you’re seeking a divorce and believe you are entitled to alimony or might have to pay alimony contact a Jacksonville Family Law Lawyer today for more information.