As a Family Law Attorney in the Jacksonville area I am consistently asked how the courts calculate alimony. This is often a difficult question to answer. In Jacksonville and Florida as a whole there is no specific formula to calculate alimony. Instead, there are factors that Jacksonville courts look to when calculating alimony.
These factors include:
(1) The standard of living established while married.
(2) The length of the marriage.
(3) The age and health of each party.
(4) The financial resources and assets of each party.
(5) When applicable, the time necessary for either party to acquire sufficient education or training to enable such party to find appropriate employment.
(6) The contribution of each party to the marriage, including, but not limited to, services rendered in homemaking, child care, education, and career building of the other party.
(7) All sources of income available to either party.
A Jacksonville court may also consider any other factor necessary to do equity and justice between the parties.
If you live in the Jacksonville area and are seeking a divorce you are entitled to alimony or might have to pay alimony. You should contact a Jacksonville Family Law Lawyer today for more information. Free consultations are available.